Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

A New Adventure

I'm excited, and nervous, and terrified, and filled with joy as well as disbelief.  I am (Lord willing) going to Uganda, Africa in September!  Yes, you read that right!  I am about to embark on a new journey, and have the longing of my heart be fulfilled!

Ever since I was little I have always wanted to go on a missions trip to Uganda, I always knew that I would spend time over there doing missions work.  Now that is actually happening!

Let me tell you a little bit about how this opportunity came about...


Beginning of last year, my best friend and I received a Facebook message from a lady whom neither of us had met.  She introduced her self and shared with us her passion for orphans, and missions work.   She told us that she had been following our orphan advocate blog, as well as being our Facebook friends.   Then she said that she knew it was a very off the wall and crazy thing to offer, but that she was a team leader with Children's Hope Chest and was going on a trip to Uganda in 2013, she wanted us to join her.  She said she thought we would be wonderful influences on the other girls our age that were going , as well as enjoy ourselves because of our hearts for the fathers, and God.

At the time no dates were set and the trip was still being put together but she asked that we pray about it, and discuss it with our parents.  Although my best friend wasn't able to go, my parents said they would consider it.   At the time I thought it would be nifty to go, seeing as I had always wanted to go to Uganda, and do missions work.  I chatted back and forth with Bethany (The Team Leader.)  but life got hectic, and I got caught up with getting money for my Mexico trip, and eventually just forgot about going to Uganda.

End of March beginning of April rolled around and my heart was dying to do some type of mission work, so I started praying about it.  I prayed that God would provide me with an opportunity, whether it be to go back down to Mexico, or whether it be a completely new experience with new people and a new place.   Honestly, I just needed to do something to benefit others.   I started to pray for God to open doors, and that is when he reminded me about Bethany's message.  I scrolled back through my messages, found it and replied to her.  I asked her if it was too late for me to jump in on the trip.  She said I could still jump in!  I was ecstatic, and it felt right.   I brought it up to my mom again and I asked her if she thought my dad would let me.  She said she didn't have an issue with it, but of course I would have to ask my dad.  I asked my dad about it that night, read him the messages, and of course as any good dad would do, he went out and researched the organization, and emailed people.  He was hesitant to say yes, at first but then he was "Okay" with it.

Of course I can only go if I can manage to raise, and get the money on my own.  But my words to my dad were "To you it's $4,000 that I have to get in for months time.  But to me?  It's JUST $4,000.  If God wants me there, He will provide me with ways to get the money."   Of course to everyone I sound insane, and to myself I sound a little insane.  But!  The first time I went to Mexico?  God provided me of $375 dollars in three days time just from generous hearts that wanted to see me do work for God.  So needless to say, I'm not to worried about the money.

Just tonight it hit me that in 4 months I will be (God willing) spending a week in a small village in Uganda called Nyada (Pronounced Nee-YA-duh)  loving on kids, painting their nails, and just reminding them that they are loved.   I am truly excited, and am praying my heart out that God will provide me with the money I that will be required to go.

I will be brainstorming for ways to raise the money, but if you feel lead to give to my fund I will put a donation box up on the right side of my blog.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and if you can't donate praying is more powerful.
Love you all!
Alyssa :)

1 comment: